Historic Garrotxa and Besalú
Discover one of the most beautiful areas of Catalonia in just one day.
The Garrotxa area is known for its stunning landscapes and architectural elements: “hanging towns”, medieval villas, lakes surrounded by forests and nature… It looks like something out of a fairy tale.
It is one of those places you should visit at least once in your life. And what better way to do it than with this day tour where you will go to Castellfollit de la Roca, Besalú and Banyoles. You’ll fall in love with it!
We’ll also take you to other hidden corners of the area that, although lesser known, have a lot of charm.
We’ll tell you more about them below:
A bit of history
As we told you previously, the Garrotxa region is known for its landscapes and architecture.
One of the most beautiful places is Besalú.
This village was originally a fortress between two rivers: the Fluvià and the Capellades. Thus, due to its strategic location, it has received a great influence from different cultures.
The village is full of medieval elements and architecture. For example: the splendid medieval bridge, the impressive old church of the monastery of Sant Pere -12th century-, the church of Sant Vicenç -12th century- or the Gothic Hall of the Royal Cúria.
And not only Besalú. You must also visit Castellfollit de la Roca.
A small town built on an impressive 50-metre-high basalt cliff. Very impressive.
If you stroll through its narrow streets, you will come across the old church of Sant Salvador. It is right on the edge of the cliff, where you will also find an incredible viewpoint with views you will never forget.
Part of the village coincides with the ancient Roman road Annia, in the old part of the village. Definitely, a walk to remember.
What will the day of the excursion be like? Let’s have a look:
- Pick up: we will meet at the agreed time at the previously established departure point, in Girona. From there we will go to the first town on our route: Castellfollit de la Roca.
- First stop: Castellfollit de la Roca, a small village with houses hanging from a basalt rock column, will be our first stop. We will walk through its narrow streets to the old town and climb the bell tower: you will enjoy the best views of the area. Afterwards, we will have breakfast and be ready for the next stop.
- Second stop: the beautiful medieval village of Besalú. Here a local guide will accompany us during our visit. You will discover the history of this beautiful place and its importance during the Middle Ages. After the visit, you will have time to have lunch and stroll around the streets freely. On your way out, take a look at the spectacular Llierca Bridge: it is a beautiful medieval bridge built over the Fluvià river.
- Last stop: Banyoles. Stroll along the shore of the most beautiful lake in the area. We will tell you facts and curiosities about the place while you contemplate the spectacular scenery that surrounds us.
- Return: after a perfect day discovering the beautiful region of Garrotxa, it’s time to go back home. We’ll take you back to the same point from where we started… Now back to rest!
What this tour includes
Now that you know the itinerary, we’ll tell you what’s included in this tour:
- Official tour guide: the whole tour will be explained by an officially qualified tour guide.
- Ticket management and route planning: our guides are in charge of planning the most suitable and interesting routes. In addition, they are also responsible for organising access to the monuments in advance and purchasing tickets (if necessary).
- Transport: at Girona Tour, we take care of the transport to all the places to be visited, so you can leave your private car parked at the hotel.
- Available for private groups and small groups: you can also do these tours with a smaller group or do it alone with your family and friends, if you wish.
The meeting or pick-up point is agreed with the customer.
- Full-day tours: approximately 8 hours.
- Half-day tours: they usually last approximately 4 hours.
Take in the spectacular views from a natural viewpoint at altitude, roam the streets of an impressive medieval village, stroll along the shores of a beautiful lake… You live the experience; we plan it for you!
Health and security measures
Girona Tour will follow the covid measures in force at all times.
How to get to the Girona Tour meeting point
The starting point of “Girona Tour: Guided Visits and Tours in Girona | Gironatour.com” is located in the heart of Plaça de Catalunya, 17004 Girona. Although depending on the visit the meeting point may vary.
You will find us right next to the Gelateria La Gioconda ice cream parlor.
A 4-minute walk from the Jardines de la Muralla and a 3-minute walk from the Girona City Hall building.
1 minute walk from the Cadaqués Casino Bar